If you are looking for Pet Friendly Townsville suggestions, like a Dog Friendly Cafe Townsville (or pet friendly restaurant) you are in the best possible place.
One year ago our life changed for the better when we adopted a 5.5 year old Toy Poodle girl. We love visiting Cafes and mostly Faith accompanies us. When travelling she always does. This post is for travellers to Townsville and locals looking for dog friendly Cafe options.
We lived in Townsville for 60 years and visit family there frequently, so we are always finding new dog friendly cafes in Townsville.
What You Will Find in This Post
- Dog Friendly Cafes Townsville Central Business District
- Dog Friendly Palmer Street Restaurants
- Dog Friendly Cafes in Suburban Townsville
- Dog Friendly Cafes The Strand and North Ward
- Shorehouse Restaurant (Downstairs)
- Juliette’s Gelateria
- Juliette’s The Strand
- Coffee Club (Strand)
- Axell Rose Boutique/Coffee Shop
- Odyssey the Strand Townsville
- Happy Place Cafe Townsville also known as Raw Energy
- The Treehouse Townsville
- Bakehouse on Eyre
- Tide Cafe
- Tobruk Pool Cafe
- Watermark Restaurant
- Wattles and Wagtails
- Out of Town Dog Friendly Townsville
Dog Friendly Cafes Townsville Central Business District
The Beet Bar Townsville.
The Beet Bar’s new dog friendly cafe Townsville on the corner of Stokes and Sturt Street, opened it’s doors in August 2021. It is a great venue with plenty of DOG FRIENDLY footpath tables.
Customers have followed Beet Bar from their original Flinders Street Cafe to the bigger and better new corner Cafe. The Beet Bar specialises in catering for different dietary requirements. Think Health Food Restaurant, Coffee Shop and Dog Friendly Cafe Townsville.
The food shown here is a vegan waffle and Oat Milk smoothies.
Particularly busy Sunday mornings when Cotters Market is on.
- 6.30am to 4pm Monday to Friday. 6.30am to 2.30pm Weekends.
- 21 Stokes Street, Townsville Central Business District (07) 4721 6321
Hoi Polloi Townsville.
Are we in Melbourne Toto?
No Denham Lane Townsville, Toto – same same but different.
With an exterior covered in street art, and a great name, Hoi Polloi Townsville dishes up Espresso and Scones (grandma’s own) amongst other goodies 7 am till 1 pm. Open some Friday nights and all Saturday nights for jazz and the like. Check Facebook page for gigs and food porn.
DOGGOES WELCOME in Denham Lane.
- Monday to Friday 7am to 1pm. Sat. 7am to 1 pm and 5pm to 11pm, Sunday 8am to 1pm.
- 2a Flinders Street, Townsville Central Business District. 0432 025 129
The Quarters Townsville City
Espresso Bar. Well behaved dogs allowed both inside and out. Moved from Stokes Street to Flinders Street beneath the Sugar Shaker.
- 6am to 12.30pm everyday.
- 334 Flinders Street, Townsville. 0435 845 237
The Courtyard City Lane
The Courtyard is a lovely relaxed space for you and your dog. They are open for lunch through to dinner. Remember $3 Tacos every Tuesday and I love a cold Great Northern Crisp to wash them down with. Or maybe Burgers and Freakshakes?
Absolutely – The Courtyard is a DOG FRIENDLY CAFE TOWNSVILLE.
- Mon to Thurs – 11.30am to 10pm. Fri & Sat 12pm to 10pm
- City Lane, 383 Flinders Street, Townsville.
Once the Paleo Cafe, Born Wild by Kymbo Westcott sits on the corner of City Lane and Flinders street. Wholefoods and Espresso are their thing. I love the house made muffins, coffee and forest wallpaper outback and of course it’s DOG FRIENDLY OUTDOORS. Known for the freshness of their delicious breakfasts.
- 7 am to 2 pm 7 days a week.
- 373-383 Flinders Street Townsville (Cnr. of City Lane) (07) 4771 4045
Zizigo City Lane Licensed Dog Friendly Restaurant Townsville
The first and best Korean Restaurant in Townsville. Lovely and clean, responsive staff and authentic food.
Zizigo has 4 outside tables which are DOG FRIENDLY, but they must be booked. These tables are for larger groups or doggie bookings.
- Mon to Thurs 11am to 2pm & 5pm to 830pm Fri & Sat 11am to 2pm & 5pm to 9pm Sunday Closed.
- R3 City Lane 373-401 Flinders Street, Townsville. (07) 4771 3877/0403 333 158
A Touch of Salt Restaurant Townsville
A Touch of Salt is one of the best restaurants in Townsville.
It’s not often that good restaurants in Townsville are dog friendly, but this one is. Awarded One Chef Hat years 2016 through to 2020. Courtyard nights on the riverside are balmy and beautiful but you might need some insect repellent depending on time and season.
- Saturday to Thurs 5pm to 10pm. Friday 12 noon to 3pm – 5pm to 10pm.
- 86 to 124 Ogden Street, Townsville City (07) 4724 4441
Dog Friendly Palmer Street Restaurants
Palmer Street Townsville is Townsville’s popular eating street. It has a mix of pubs, cafes and restaurants. You would think that any establishment with footpath seating would be dog friendly, but that’s not the case. Ring first to save embarrassment.
We love Jam. It’s one of our go to restaurants for celebrations. Dogs are welcome in the outside area where the high stools are. Try Cocktails and Tapas at the Terrace Bars after work or Weekends.
I prefer to eat inside so if I have a choice, I leave my doggo at home. But still it is possible to dine here with your pet and for that I am thankful!
- Closed Sunday and Monday. Open 5.30 pm to 9 pm Tuesday to Saturday and 12 noon to 2 pm Tuesday Wednesday and Friday.
- 1 Palmer Street, Townsville. (07) 4721 4900
Enjoy healthy burgers at Grill’d at their footpath dining tables. Although there is a back courtyard, reaching it necessitates a walk through the cafe, making it a no go for dogs. It’s quite nice sitting at the footpath tables and the action is entertaining. DOG FRIENDLY AT FOOTPATH SEATING.
- Mon to Thurs 10am to 10pm. Fri/Sat/Sun 10am to 11pm.
- 3 Palmer Street, South Townsville. (07) 4976 9990
Grilled at Willows Shopping Centre and Fairfields Waters also have dog friendly areas.
The Australian Hotel
Similarly the Australian Hotel has a back courtyard which is not dog friendly. They too however have some beer barrel tables with seats on the footpath and these are dog friendly. Have a counter meal and/or drinks at the barrel tables. It’s a great place for the iconic steak Sanga and chips!
DOG FRIENDLY ON FOOTPATH.
- 10 am to midnight 7 days a week.
- 11 Palmer Street, South Townsville. (07) 4771 5269
Cactus Jacks is not dog friendly.
I mean at all. Not even in the outdoor area on the footpath . It is the same at the Cannon Park venue.
Dog Friendly Cafes in Suburban Townsville
The arcade strip at Ottos Warrina is DOG FRIENDLY. You can sit here with your dog at any of the tables in the arcade. They can’t however be taken into the grocery. Table food is ordered through a Servery window from the arcade. A Fish and Chip Shop opens into the arcade also.
Everything from Pastries, Coffee, Juices, Sandwiches and hot dishes can be ordered here.
- 7am to 7pm Mon – Sat. 8am to 4pm Sunday.
- 3-5 Illuka Street, Currajong, Townsville. (07) 4759 1755
Ottos Precinct Cafe
The Precinct is home to several eating places that share an internal mall that is DOG FRIENDLY.
You will find Ottos, Summeries Thai, Crust Pizza, Getta Burger and The Spirited Goat. Mint Indian is also in the same complex and is a lovely dine in. They are not dog friendly, but you can buy take-away and eat it in the mall.
Ottos has an Artisan Bakery, Meat Hall, Deli, Kitchen, Drinkery, Espresso Bar, Doughnut Gallery and Grocer. Enter from the mall or a carpark.
The Spirited Goat Cafe
The Spirited Goat is situated at a car park entrance and has DOG FRIENDLY tables and chairs outside, 0r venture further into the mall to sit undercover.
Last time I was there The Goat was having major renovations and now do breakfast, lunch and dinner and are licensed. Think Pasta and Vino on Thursday Nights, Dinner/Drinks/Music Fridays and great Campos Espresso. I hope they still do my favourite fritters.
Fat Dogz Cafe Cannon Park.
These two Sister Cafes are both seriously DOG FRIENDLY.
Fat Dogz Cafe in the Cannon Park Restaurant and Cinema hub on Hervey’s range road Kirwan, opened more than six years ago. It excels in friendly and fast customer service. No matter how big the line-up is, you will be clutching your cup in the blink of an eye. Doggy biscuits and maybe a Puppachino for pooch while you sip and chat.
- Mon to Sat 6am to 6pm. Sunday 7am to 4pm.
- Fat Dogz, Cannon Park, Hervey Range Road, Kirwan. 0448 847 476
Fat Dogz Cafe Currajong.
So popular was the first one, that another Fat Dogz recently burst onto the scene in sleepy Currajong. I visited Fat Dogz Hammett Street recently and they are very DOG FRIENDLY and use locally roasted Bounce coffee.
- Mon to Fri 6am to 5pm. Saturday 6am to 4pm. Sunday 7am to 3pm.
- Fat Dogz, Shop 3, 1-13 Hammett Street, Currajong. 0417 086 595
Mocha Mecca Douglas
Known for their Gluten Free cakes and great breakfast and lunch menu, Mocha Mecca is a delightful place to sit outside with your doggo. Tables with umbrellas overlook Ross River and Black Weir in this DOG FRIENDLY AREA and it’s lovely.
A green grassy park stretches between the cafe and Riverside Tavern. Mocha Mecca is my favourite type of place to meet up with friends when a trip to the Strand is too hard.
Try Mocha Mecca’s home made Sausage Rolls and Iced Coffees, oh and the pink cream filled lamingtons (gluten free).
Everything is made fresh in store, including those yummo cakes.
- Shop 2, 237 Riverside Bvde, Douglas. (07) 4625 1311
West End Teahouse and Gallery
A great DOG FRIENDLY deck and shaded courtyard setting for everyone. Inventive house made everything, especially cakes.
- Mon/Tues – closed. Wed to Sun 7.30am till 2.30pm.
- 17 Echlin Street, West End, Townsville Australia. (07) 4431 0880
Cafe Bambini at Domain
We love taking Faith here. The coffee and the food is good. Order a fully fledged meal or a tiny two bite quiche, the choice is yours. Park right outside, the DOG FRIENDLY area is shaded and nice, plus you can do a bit of shopping at Domain afterward. Yep it’s easy, plus there is a public toilet beside Subway which is sort of next door.
- 7am till 3pm Saturday and Sunday. 6.30am till 4pm Monday to Friday
- Shop 10G Domain Central, Duckworth Street, Townsville (07) 4779 1355.
Please Note: Cafe Bambini at Fairfield Waters and City also have a dog friendly area.
Dog Friendly Cafes The Strand and North Ward
Shorehouse Restaurant (Downstairs)
The downstairs area of Shorehouse Asian Restaurant and Bar is DOG FRIENDLY territory. Fake Grass for Fido to sit on and doggy bowls. I actually love the deck upstairs so leave my doggo at home when dining here, but it is good to be able to enjoy all that modern Asian deliciousness downstairs also.
Even if you bring a little dog in a carry case they are not allowed in the restaurant.
- Mon to Thurs 5pm to 10pm
- Fri 12pm till midnight. Saturday 12pm to 11 pm. Sunday 12pm to 10pm.
- 118 The Strand, Townsville (07) 4724 0520
Distinguished by white Adirondack Chairs on the grass with full ocean front views, this truly is The Place to indulge in a seaside gelato while walking the Strand and it is DOG FRIENDLY outdoors. The Adirondack chairs are so relaxing and there are plenty of traditional cafe tables and chairs.
When the weather is hot it’s best to visit late afternoon/evening so your gelato doesn’t melt too quickly.
Apart from the view, Gelato is the big attraction here and so it should be.
- Sunday to Thursday – 7am to 9.30 pm
- Friday & Saturday – 7 am to 10 pm
- Landsborough Street Headland (07) 4772 5565
Juliette’s The Strand
Wedged between Strand Coffee Club and Shop Six Pasta Bar, this iconic dog friendly cafe Townsville, opened in 2007 and is the natural place to chill with your FURRY FRIEND. With tables a plenty beneath huge shady trees and sea views and ocean breezes to keep you cool, the espresso is served in Juliette’s trademark red cups. Bike Stands too. What’s not to like?
- Sun to Thurs – 6am to 9.30pm
- Fri/Sat – 6am to 10 pm
- 7/58 The Strand Townsville. 07 4721 5577
Coffee Club (Strand)
The Strand Coffee Club is a great DOG FRIENDLY CAFE. Juliettes and Coffee Club tend to be one big outdoor cafe, but there is a boundary. Coffee Club shares the same view and is popular for Sunday brunch.
- 59-60 The Strand North Ward, Townsville. (07) 4724 3777
- 6am to 5pm Monday to Sunday
Axell Rose Boutique/Coffee Shop
This boutique is full of lovely things and I always take a peek inside while our dog Faith sits outside with Marty. It’s not really a cafe, more a hole in the wall takeaway with DOG FRIENDLY tables and chairs outside, It’s a nice spot for a coffee with the added benefit of clothes shopping.
- 1/48 Gregory Street, North Ward, Townsville. 0417 079 165
- 6am to 11am Monday to Friday. 71m to 11am Saturday. Closed Sunday.
Odyssey the Strand Townsville
This breezy open-air breakfast and brunch place is all outdoors. It’s opposite the Rock Pool and a good place to watch all the Strand action. Lovely for lunch too. I suggest booking on Sunday mornings.
SMALL DOG FRIENDLY inside.
- 6am 7 days a week. Kitchen closes 2.30pm.
- 120 The Strand Townsville. (07) 4724 1400
Happy Place Cafe Townsville also known as Raw Energy
The undercover area at front is dog friendly with cool breezes and ocean views.
Look for the purple flag for all Day Breakfast, burgers, wraps, energy bowls, smoothies, juices, coffee and Tea.
Undercover DOG FRIENDLY area out the front.
- 6am to 2.30pm 7 days a week
- 62 The Strand Townsville. 0432 673 420
The Treehouse Townsville
Situated near Strand Waterfall, this open air cafe cluster comprises Rock Paper Scissors, Hopscotch Ice-creamery and Checkers Pizza. Try the Popcorn Prawn Wrap, loaded wedges, spaghetti pizza or maybe a Sticky Date Crepe.
And they are all DOG FRIENDLY.
- 21 The Strand, Townsville. 0423 330 483
- 7.30am to 10 pm Sunday to Thursday. 7.30 to 11pm Friday and Saturday.
Bakehouse on Eyre
Come for breakfast, brunch or lunch. Customers with or without dogs can sit in the spacious undercover, outdoor area with a sneaky Castle Hill view and fake grass for doggy comfort. Those without dogs can also choose an air-con indoors.
Did I mention their Puppaccino’s. Top marks for having a Dog Menu although not suitable for my dog. Still it might suit yours. DOG FRIENDLY COURTYARD.
- 7am till 1pm Sunday and 7 am to 2 pm Monday to Saturday.
- Cnr Kennedy & Eyre Streets, North Ward. 0401 945 552
Footpath seating is DOG FRIENDLY and house specialty is home cooking and baking just like Grandma’s around the world. Simple, real, fresh and tasty. Things like Ricotta Orange Pancakes from Niue, served with dollop cream and maple syrup of course. Or their freshly home baked Challah bread.
- 45 Eyre Street, North Ward, Townsville
- Mon to Sun 7am to 3pm. 0460 666 892
Yummy breakfasts, food cabinet with freshly made rolls or salads and with daily specials like a pull-pork sandwich with skinny chips, you’re talking my language. Tide serve locally roasted Bounce coffee and have been around since 2014. They also use Misty Mountain Jersey Milk which is my favourite NQ dairy milk. It comes from happy Atherton Tableland cows.
Before ordering from the Menu, pop inside the Cafe and check out the food cabinet.
The DOG FRIENDLY area with Doggy Bowls and Castle Hill Views is where most people choose to sit.
- 5.30am till 3pm Monday to Friday. 5.30am till 2pm Saturday and Sunday.
- 46 Gregory Street, North Ward Townsville (07)4431 0432
Tobruk Pool Cafe
Relax with Coffee and Cake, cool drinks or snacks and it’s DOG FRIENDLY.
Aaron & Me nutritionally sound dog bickies and Doggy Cinos available.
- 32 The Strand Townsville
- 6am to 5pm Monday to Friday. 6.30am to 2pm Saturday. 7am to 2pm Sunday. Closed Public Holidays.
There is no need to divert from the Strand Walking Path to visit this Cafe. It is right there in the grassed area between Tobruk Pool and the beach. As Cafes go it is as relaxed as they come and your DOG IS WELCOME.
The Watermark is a restaurant and bar beneath the Watermark Hotel on the Strand. The water is just across the road. They have a couple of dog friendly tables available just outside the restaurant, but not on the footpath.
- 72-74 The Strand, Townsville. 4724 4281
- Open 7 days from 7 am.
Wattles and Wagtails
At long last the historic Queens Hotel building on the Strand Townsville, is back in use, even though it’s just the small portion on the corner of Lower Wickham Street. There was a cafe in this same spot some 45 years ago so it’s nice to see this newcomer to the scene. The cafe is in the last three windows on the right. The bench is around the corner.
Queens Hotel is across the street from the historic Rotunda in Anzac Park.
It’s all about the beautiful old building and it’s lovely to admire it while having a specialty coffee, premium tea or something light to eat.
I contacted them first before visiting with our dog and discovered there were tables and chairs on Wickham Street, shaded by the above verandah.
- 6.30am to 12.30 pm every day except Monday (closed).
- 12 The Strand Townsville. 0476 893 348
Out of Town Dog Friendly Townsville
Hervey Range Tea House
50 km west of Townsville up on Hervey Range is the historic Hervey Range Tea House. Dogs are welcome in the outside dining area, but not on wet days. Please ring the number below to book yourself and dog in. It’s a long way to go without booking and it does get booked out.
- Wed to Mon 9am to 1pm. Closed Tuesday. Weekends 9am to 1045 am (Breakfast) and 11am till 1pm (Lunch).
- 37 Thornton Gap Road, Hervey Range (07) 4778 0199
You might be interested in Dog Friendly Cafes Sunshine Coast of Queensland.